Alu-Cab 3.1 Expedition Rooftop Tent
AVAILABLE FOR IN-STORE PICK ONLY. SHIPPING NOT AVAILABLE
The Alu-Cab Expedition Tent just got that much better! Alu-Cab has added unique features to improve your camping experience. When rooftop tents first hit the market they were revolutionary, mostly because your tent and mattress (the two things that take up the most packing space) were now conveniently stored on your roof. Of course, there are many more benefits to owning a rooftop tent, but likewise, there are plenty of cons, too.
Fortunately, most of these drawbacks are associated with soft-shell rooftop tents, as well as heavy canvas units that are difficult to flip open. For these reasons, the Expedition Tent has always followed a hard-shell design. The benefits of this setup include… A gas-strut assisted design that takes seconds to open and close A three-point entry / exit layout so you don’t have to plan your campsite around your tent A more aerodynamic shape. You can close the tent with your bedding inside, and lastly… the Expedition Tent has always followed a hard-shell design.
What’s more, hard-shell tents typically last longer than their soft-shell equivalents, they’re also easier to clean, and far more resilient to rain, snow and windy weather conditions. But most of all, from an overland-travel perspective (where you’re moving from one camp to the next), you just can’t beat the convenience of a popup rooftop tent; which is why the popular Expedition Tent is now in its 3rd Generation design. Over the years, Alu-Cab has been adding continuous improvements to the Expedition Tent, opting for a wider, more spacious layout, as well as a streamlined design that’s both aesthetically pleasing, and far more aerodynamic. But even more so, three critical features have always been important to Alu-Cab while developing the hard-shell tent:
1) Comfort and convenience. Buying a rooftop tent is no different to buying a household bed, where comfort is critical; which is why Alu-Cab specced the Expedition Tent with a generous 75 mm high-density foam mattress. Also included a reading light, USB charging ports (for your mobile phone), a 12V power socket, and a series of storage pockets where you can keep your keys, books and even your shoes.
2) Functionality Thanks to the Expedition Tent’s robust aluminium housing, you have the option of fitting our Alu-Cab load bars. This means you can still pack large bulky items on top of your tent. Whether it be a solar panel, camping table, kayak, mountain bike, or the Alu-Cab Rack Tray, the Gen 3.1 Expedition Tent doesn’t prevent you from packing gear on your roof like other rooftop tents do.
3) Insulation. Recognizing that Alu-Cab tents are used by extreme adventure travelers across the globe, Alu-Cab wanted to build a tent that offered the best possible insulation against blazing African heat, as well as sub-zero temperatures found in Europe and North America. That said, the Gen 3.1 roof structure and base are generously insulated with a closed-cell foam lining that offers excellent comfort and insulation all year round. Also included an awning cover over the tent’s rear door, which helps to keep rain, snow and frost off the rear opening.
TIME FOR AN UPGRADE
So, if you’re looking to upgrade your current rooftop tent with a far more durable, versatile and easy-to-use option, look no further than our Gen 3.1 Expedition Tent – a third generation product that has evolved into a supremely comfortable, spacious, and fast-pitching home away from home.
NEW ADDITIONAL FEATURES
- Side rain cover now comes as a standard feature
- Spec-built telescopic ladder with rungs that are broad and angled making it far more comfortable to climb into the tent barefoot
- Single zip opening doors Zippable back awning – the awning can zip up and stay rolled away. The awning only needs to be deployed when the weather dictates.
- Stainless steel eyelets for the spring poles
- Extended cargo rails creating more room and additional options for fitment to the roof
- Raised Air vent to help reduce condensation
- 3D breathable mesh to further assist with condensation
- Lightweight aluminum construction
- Built-in cargo rails for the fitment of optional load bars
- Hard-shell structure that can carry additional gear – solar panels, kayak, mountain bikes or camping table
- Streamlined aerodynamic profile 3-point access with a door / window on each side
- Gas-strut assisted pop-up design
- Opens and closes in seconds so you can still go on that late-afternoon game drive
- 75 mm high-density foam mattress with zip-off cover
- Quick release ladder that stows inside your tent when closed
- Storage pockets
- Internal USB power points, 12V plug point and built in lighting
- Rear door awning to keep the entrance dry
- Dual-layer canvas for better insulation and protection
- Wind resistant design thanks to single-sided opening
- Top and bottom foam insulation for class leading insulation
LOAD RATING FOR CARGO RAILS:
The load rating for the cargo rails on the tent roof is 110lbs. It is important to note that where the load is located on the roof, will determine how easy or difficult it is to open the tent. It is always suggested to shift heavier loads towards the front of the tent, and much lighter loads, like a solar panel, to the rear.
LENGTH: External 90.55" / internal 82.68"
WIDTH: External 55.12" / internal 51.18 (@ shoulders)
HEIGHT (exterior, closed): Front 8.27" / Rear 11.02"
HEIGHT (exterior, open): 78.74"
HEIGHT (interior, open): 62.99"
Weight: Approximately 172lbs